By Staff Reporter
Screenshot as feature image
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) was established by the government to provide monetary support to financially disadvantaged students to complete their studies at public universities or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges.
It is under the oversight of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET).
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA (South African Social Security Agency) grant recipients
- Applicants with combined household income of no more than R350,000 per annum
- Person with disability and combined household income of no more than R600,000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 and whose household income is no more than R122,000 per annum
Who should not apply for NSFAS funding?
- Students who have completed a previous qualification
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350,000 per annum
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements
- Foreign students (any student who is not a South African citizen)
NSFAS bursary is a government bursary that covers respective costs based on the approved latest DHET guidelines. Those costs entail tuition fees, registration, accommodation, living allowance, transportation and learning materials.
What do I get from NSFAS if I am a university student?
- Accommodation as per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution): R7,500 per annum
- Living allowance: R15,000 per annum
- Book allowances: R5,200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2,900 per annum for students in catered residences
What do I get from NSFAS if I am a TVET college student?
- Accommodation in an urban area: R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in a peri-urban area: R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in a rural area: R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution): R7,350 per annum
- Transport: R7,000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2,900 per annum